2008/02/15

Opening your VAIO - part 1

A while ago, when trying to install certain version of Mac OS X Leopard on my VAIO-FZ19VN notebook (OSX86), I read somewhere that my Intel wireless network card would not work in Mac OS X, but according to some people on the net it should be easy to replace.

And I got myself two notebooks over here! No, that's not because I have too much money, and no, it's not a PC and a Mac, alas.
My second notebook, an HP laptop, I bought second hand from my mother. She used it for about 1,5 year and about that time errors began to happen. Strange lines across the screen, and the system hanging time after time. Nowadays, I even can't install Windows - only some Linux-versions will boot in this strange machine. But it HAS a wireless network card - Broadcom, so it should work under Mac OS X.

It was not very difficult to open my VAIO, if I had known how. Anyway, I figured it out without damaging my notebook.
Once it was open, it became clear that the slot containing the network card in the VAIO was different from the slot in the HP, so I had to put the whole laptop back together, without any changes made.

Next day, when I was entering in the minutes at a meeting, some of the keys on my keyboard stopped working. So I had to substitute each "r", "u", "f", "j" - and some other keys.
And I had to open my notebook again - my keyboard cable was not connected properly.
This second time opening my notebook, I've taken some photos for all VAIO users out there who want to open their laptops for one or another reason. I'll post them in my next post

No comments: